May 21, 2020
Posted by on
- Pour 1 cup of warm (110 degrees F) water into a bowl.
- Add 2 teaspoons of sugar; stir to dissolve.
- Sprinkle a packet of yeast (2 ½ teaspoons) on top.
- Let it sit for a few minutes, then stir until it dissolves.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set it in a warm, draft-free place (inside your turned-off oven, for example).
Within 5 to 10 minutes the top of the mixture should have turned creamy and foamy, which means the yeast is working. If nothing happens, the yeast is dead; discard the mixture and try again with different yeast.
6 cups General Purpose flour, 1 teaspoon salt , ½ cup white sugar; mix well and then add
1 cup warm milk or water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C) plus yeast and sugar from above, 2 eggs, room temperature, ⅓ cup margarine, melted
mix until incorporated into a ball, cover and let raise
knead and let rest twice more
stretch into 10 x 14″ and apply filling leaving 3/4″ edges clean, then roll and divide into dish and let rise before baking
⅓ cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 ½ tablespoons ground cinnamon
optionally chopped toasted nuts and/or raisins
bake at 350 for 30 minuets, 20 covered, then brown
Recipe yields 12 servings (9 x 12 deep dish)