August 14, 2020
Posted by on
Sweet Pickles: Homemade Bread and Butter Pickles Recipe
- 2 dozen 3-inch cucumbers
- ½ cup pickling salt
- 3-¼ cups apple cider vinegar, divided
- 2-⅛ quarts water, divided
- 6 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices
- Put 2 dozen 3-inch cucumbers, freshly picked, in a crock or a jar. A crock can be anything from an unchipped enamel crock to a big glass jar or suitable container.
- Cover with a brine of ½ cup pickling salt, ¼ cup vinegar, and 2 quarts water.
- Weight down the cucumbers (a plate with a canning jar full of water on top of it will do nicely), and cover the crock.
- The fermentation of the cucumbers will cause a white, scummy substance to form on top of the brine. Every day for 2 weeks, check on your cucumbers and just skim the scum off if it is present.
- After 2 weeks, drain, cut into chunks, and let them stand for 24 hours in cold water, and then rinse.
- Combine 3 cups vinegar with 6 cups of sugar and ½ cup (⅛ quart) water. Tie 2 tablespoons each whole cloves and mixed pickling spices in cheesecloth, add to vinegar solution, and bring to a boil. Pour over cucumbers and let stand for 24 hours. Drain, reheat vinegar solution, and repeat process 4 times (this is only a 5-minute task each day).
- Remove spices and pack pickles in sterile jars. Bring vinegar solution to a boil and pour over pickles. Seal and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Now you have tasty sweet pickles